Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom Is Not Free

As I sat at home, contemplating the best way to attack this week's quest, I faced a dilemma.  All three quests were feasible but I needed to find the one that would be the most embarrassing and would involve the most people.  Yea yea, you can post your picture on facebook/myspace but you don't have to leave your computer chair to do that.  Crossed that off the list.  I was torn between the other two options; at a sporting event or as a crime fighting superhero.  Then it hit me, I'll run a local 5K as a crime fighting superhero.  Problem solved.  This post is the result of that quest...

Crime Fighting Superhero - Captain America (reincarnated from his glory days with Marvel Comics)
The Crime - Non-patriotism
Solution - Spreading national spirit for the 4th of July.  

      July 4th, approximately 7:56 am, I toed the line for the start of the local Brighton Chamber of Commerce 5K.  I figured the most appropriate superhero for this day was one that had to do with America and patriotism.  I found some tacky, old t-shirts, two American flags, socks I could write on and I fashioned a cape out of a tablecloth.  I was ready to spread some American pride.  I think the other competitors were a bit intimidated on the line.  
I got off the line hard and I think I was winning for a little while.  I decided to slow down though, there weren't enough people in the lead pack and it wasn't the most effective way to spread the American spirit.  I could see the faces of the spectators lighting up, their American spirits rekindled by my contagious enthusiasm.  All in all, the race was a great success.  I think that Rochester is finally ready to celebrate the 4th of July.
    
     However, the crime fighting did not stop at the race.  I headed over to the local Circuit City in hopes of getting a few more people excited about the holiday.  Look at how happy this employee looks.  He
 loves America!
     
Before leaving, I decided to peruse the store. Nothing I found was quite patriotic enough.  Oh well.  Another day, another time.
I've come to learn through this contest that the Mustache King is not so much about the mustache itself, but rather what the mustache represents.  Mustaches aren't meant to be locked away at home, they need to experience the world and spread the joy of the 'stache to everyone.  I feel like I've done my 'stache proud this week.
Until next time,
-MBG

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker